Do you ever revisit your outdated tweets? Twitter has been round since 2006 — when you had been an early adopter, you’d in all probability be shocked to see among the content material you as soon as thought was cool and applicable to share.
Reviewing your outdated tweets will enable you to preserve your model picture in verify, and it needs to be a part of your common social media audits.
On this put up, we go over how one can seek for outdated tweets and delete them.
Bonus: Download the free 30-day plan to grow your Twitter following fast, a daily workbook that will help you establish a Twitter marketing routine and track your growth, so you can show your boss real results after one month.
Why is keeping track of old tweets important?
If, like me, you joined Twitter in its very early years with no idea what it was really about, you might be wondering how to find old tweets. What did you have to say in the halcyon days of 2007? Are irrelevant or potentially embarrassing tweets lingering on your timeline?
Enjoying the free wireless at YVR.
— Christina Newberry (@ckjnewberry) March 5, 2009
Singing the praises of free wifi at a serious worldwide airport (nevermind calling it “wi-fi”) appears to be like slightly goofy from the absolutely related days of 2022.
After all, this random tweet isn’t going to get me in any hassle. But when my timeline had been affected by this sort of factor, I’d in all probability need to go in and clear it up. It may additionally be a good suggestion to skinny out a few of my overzealous grammar assaults and intensive retweeting from the early 2010s.
We’re not advocates of cancel tradition, or of hiding out of your previous. However, realistically, there are many causes you’d need to delete outdated content material out of your Twitter timeline.
Perhaps you began with a private Twitter account and now need to use it for enterprise functions. Perhaps you’re job searching and know potential employers can be checking you out on social. Or perhaps you stated some issues whenever you had been younger that you’ve grown as much as perceive weren’t so smart.
Preserve studying to learn the way to seek for outdated tweets and delete them. Take into account that all of those strategies delete your tweets from Twitter itself and from retweets and quote tweets created with the fashionable Twitter choices. If somebody copy and pasted a part of your tweet (like we did for old-fashioned RTs and MTs) or screencapped it, the content material is there to remain.
The right way to discover outdated tweets: 4 strategies
Methodology 1: Twitter superior search
Twitter’s advanced search feature is the best technique to search outdated tweets and doesn’t require you to provide any third-party apps entry to your account.
1. Log in to your Twitter account and go to Twitter’s advanced search page.
2. Underneath the Accounts subheading, enter your username into the From these accounts area.
3. Enter no matter info you’ll be able to bear in mind concerning the tweet(s) you’re searching for. This could possibly be a key phrase or phrase, a hashtag, an account you replied to or talked about, and/or a particular date vary.
The date choice choices return to 2006, when Twitter first launched.
4. Click on Search. Within the search outcomes, you’ll see an inventory of prime tweets from that interval.
5. To see each tweet from that interval, click on on the Newest tab. This could return an inventory of each tweet you despatched between the from and till dates you specified, in reverse chronological order.
You may as well use the tabs throughout the highest of the display screen to search for tweets that include photographs or movies.
Methodology 2: Obtain a whole archive of your tweets
Downloading an archive of your tweets on occasion is sweet social media observe generally. It’s additionally a good way to go looking your whole report of outdated tweets. Right here’s how one can see outdated tweets utilizing the Twitter archive:
1. Go to https://twitter.com/settings/account
2. Underneath Your Account click on on Obtain an archive of your knowledge. When prompted, re-enter your password and select a verification technique.
3. Underneath Twitter knowledge, click on Request archive.
3. It might take a few days for Twitter to arrange your archive. When it’s prepared, you’ll get a push notification and an e-mail to let you recognize.
4. Click on on the notification to obtain your archive. Or, go to again to https://twitter.com/settings/account and click on on Obtain an archive of your knowledge underneath Your Account.
5. Click on Obtain archive to get a .zip file of all of your Twitter exercise, together with all of your outdated tweets.
6. Upon getting the .zip file in your desktop, open the file referred to as Your archive.html. You’ll see a abstract of all of your exercise on Twitter. To see all of your outdated tweets, click on Tweets.
You’ll see an inventory of all of your outdated tweets, in reverse chronological order. You should use the search field and filters on the precise of the web page to slim your search, or use the tabs throughout the highest to particularly see your replies and retweets.
Every tweet in your downloaded archive features a hyperlink to the dwell tweet on Twitter for straightforward entry.
Methodology 3: Use an app to see your outdated tweets on one scrollable web page
In the event you don’t need to wait to obtain your whole Twitter archive, right here’s how one can search for outdated tweets utilizing a third-party service. Choices like AllMyTweets mean you can see your 3200(-ish) newest tweets nearly instantaneously in simply scrollable type.
The 3200 tweets restrict is imposed by Twitter’s API. In the event you tweet as soon as a day, that 3200-tweet view will take you again almost 9 years. However when you’re like Hootsuite and take part in a number of Twitter chats, it would in all probability take you again lower than two years.
Nonetheless, it’s an excellent place to start out your seek for outdated tweets.
1. Go to AllMyTweets and log in utilizing your Twitter account. You’ll must grant AllMyTweets entry to your Twitter account, however you’ll be able to at all times revoke this entry later.
2. When you’re logged in , you’ll be able to search for your personal outdated tweets or another person’s. Enter the username you’d wish to search for outdated tweets for.
4. Scroll by means of the tweets, which seem in reverse-chronological order. Or use the search choice in your browser to search for a particular key phrase, phrase, and even emoji.
Methodology 4: Use the Wayback Machine
What if the tweet you’re searching for has been deleted, and also you don’t have entry to the Twitter archive for the account it was despatched from?
You might need some luck looking for it utilizing the Wayback Machine. It doesn’t archive particular person tweets, nevertheless it does have screenshots of standard Twitter pages from particular dates.
Observe: This simply goes to point out you that deleting tweets isn’t a foolproof technique to purge them from the web.
Right here’s how one can seek for outdated tweets utilizing the Wayback Machine:
1. Go to the Wayback Machine. Within the search bar on the prime, enter http://twitter.com/[username], changing [username] with the account you need to search.
2. Click on Browse Historical past. The Wayback Machine will current you with each screenshot it has of that consumer’s Twitter web page, organized by 12 months and day.
3. Choose which 12 months you’d wish to see tweets from within the timeline on the prime of the display screen. Then click on on a date bubble.
4. The Wayback Machine will present you a screenshot of the consumer’s Twitter web page precisely because it appeared on that day. Most aged screenshots of Twitter will include the primary 20 or so tweets that appeared on the web page that day, however gained’t allow you to scroll to see older tweets. For instance, right here’s how Hootsuite’s Twitter web page appeared on August 24, 2014:
The right way to delete outdated tweets
Bear in mind, as we simply illustrated with the Wayback Machine, it’s type of not possible to delete one thing as soon as it hits the web. That stated, you’ll be able to delete your Twitter content material from Twitter, which definitely makes them a lot tougher for somebody to seek out with out actually digging.
Methodology 1: Delete outdated tweets manually
If you wish to delete outdated tweets instantly on Twitter, you’ll have to take action one by one. There’s no native choice to delete a number of tweets. Right here’s the way it works.
- In your profile web page, or utilizing your Twitter archive, find the tweet you need to delete.
- Click on the three dots (extra) icon on the prime proper of the tweet.
- Click on Delete.
And right here’s how one can delete one thing you Retweeted:
- In your profile web page, scroll to the merchandise you Retweeted.
- Hover your cursor over the Retweet icon.
- Click on Undo Retweet.
Methodology 2: Mass delete outdated tweets
As a substitute of looking for particular gadgets in your timeline, it would generally be simpler to mass delete tweets.
Like we stated above, there’s no native choice to do that inside Twitter, however there are apps that may mean you can delete outdated tweets in bulk.
A number of the greatest choices embrace:
- TweetDelete, which lets you mass delete tweets primarily based on how outdated they’re or primarily based on particular key phrases or phrases.
- TweetDeleter, which lets you delete outdated tweets primarily based on key phrases, date, kind, and media. A bonus of TweetDeleter is that it retains your outdated tweets in a non-public archive, so that they’re faraway from Twitter however nonetheless obtainable to you.
- Semiphemeral lets you mass delete outdated tweets whereas preserving people who have a particular degree of engagement. You may as well choose particular person tweets to save lots of from deletion.
Utilizing any third-party app requires you to grant the app entry to your Twitter account. It’s a good suggestion to revoke that entry when you’ve performed every little thing you want to do.
Methodology 3: Delete outdated tweets robotically
Perhaps you like to retweet issues however don’t need these tweets to dwell in your timeline without end. Or perhaps you solely need to preserve tweets in your timeline that hit a sure degree of engagement.
On this case, an automated delete service is an efficient choice. All the mass deletion instruments above additionally mean you can set ongoing duties that may delete tweets robotically over time.
For instance, right here’s how the continuing Twitter deletion duties setup appears to be like in Semiphemeral.
Methodology 4: The (nearly) nuclear choice
WARNING: This technique lets you preserve your username, however you’ll lose all of your followers. That is really an account reset. Use this technique solely as a final resort.
In the event you actually need a contemporary begin on Twitter, you’ll be able to fully wipe your account and begin over. To take action, you’ll must create a brand new account with a brief username, delete your outdated account, after which do a username switcheroo.
This technique isn’t for the faint of coronary heart! However when you actually need to scrap every little thing, right here’s the way it works.
- Create a brand new Twitter account with a brand new (momentary) username.
- Delete your present Twitter account. (Yikes! Actually. We imply it once we say this technique is not any joke.) As soon as the account is deleted your username turns into obtainable, so do that subsequent half quick.
- Change the title of your new account with the momentary username to your earlier username:
- From the profile web page, click on the three dots (extra) icon.
- Click on Settings and privateness.
- Click on Your account.
- Click on Account info and make sure your password,
- Click on Username, then enter your authentic username.
That’s it. You now have a brand-new Twitter account with 0 tweets – and 0 followers! – however the slate is wiped completely clear.
Use Hootsuite to handle your Twitter accounts alongside all of your different social media profiles. From a single dashboard, you’ll be able to monitor your rivals, develop your followers, schedule tweets, and analyze your efficiency. Strive it free at the moment.
Do it higher with Hootsuite, the all-in-one social media toolkit. Keep up to the mark, develop, and beat the competitors.